Dolphin and Baloo

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 7 09:19:37 GMT 2014

Hi,

2014-02-06 Vishesh Handa:
> On Thursday 06 February 2014 14:37:49 Frank Reininghaus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the build is broken again. Attached patch fixes it for me (I haven't
>> tested it with Baloo installed yet though).

>> > Fixed

>> > Lets keep the history.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, may I ask why the history is important? The
>> reason I'm asking is that I often use "git log" and "git blame" to
>> find out when and why some code was changed, and to understand why the
>> code is as it is (often very useful when I find out which line causes
>> a bug and I'm wondering why the line is there at all). This technique
>> is obviously much less useful if some lines/files get changed very
>> often.
>>
>> If the branch contained a sequence of commits with valid intermediate
>> states which could help to find the cause of regressions in the
>> future, or which could help to understand the structure of the new
>> code, I could see that keeping all those commits makes sense. However,
>> from my point of view, most of the commits will just add noise to the
>> output of "git log" and "git blame" and make finding out about the
>> origin of some lines quite painful.
>>
>> But I don't want to start bikeshedding about this issue - if you can
>> tell any reason why the history will be useful to you in the future,
>> I'll shut up ;-)
>>

> Nah. It's cool. No history it is.
>
> I'll push the changes later today.

Thanks. It would have been cool to fix the build failure that I
mentioned though ;-)

I just pushed a commit that fixes the build for me. I wanted to check
if it still works if Baloo is found, but after I cloned the Baloo
repository, CMake told me about five required dependencies that I need
to build first, and I don't really have that much time now, so I just
pushed it. Please check if it still builds with Baloo and fix if it
doesn't. Thanks.

Cheers,
Frank