UDSEntry compression ideas

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 14:45:55 BST 2013

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 19 September 2013 23:13:04 Mark wrote:
> > If i set details to 0 i'm welcomed by a "UDSEntry::UDS_LINK_DEST" that
> > always seems to be: "Dummy Link Target".
> > When i don't set details (which means details is 2) then i don't have a
> > "UDSEntry::UDS_LINK_DEST" at all. That leads me to think that this
> > UDS_LINK_DEST might not be needed. Can i safely remove the
> > "UDSEntry::UDS_LINK_DEST" from the details == 0 code path?
> > Patch is here: http://paste.kde.org/pad68d0af/
>
> That's not a fix, that's removing a feature instead of fixing it :-)
>
> UDS_LINK_DEST should only be set for symlinks.
> Are you saying that ep->d_type & DT_LNK is true for normal files too?
> Ah I see:
> This should say ep->d_type == DT_LNK, it's not a bitfield.
> (DT_LNK is 10, DT_REG is 8)
> Same for the other tests for d_type, they should all use == then.
> Can you test if that fixes what you're seeing, and commit (to 4.11) if so?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> David Faure, faure at kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr
> Working on KDE, in particular KDE Frameworks 5

I'm doing a bit of thread hijacking now (funny since i made it in the first
place ;p)
The patch: http://paste.kde.org/p2ece1fd8/
Besides the line you said i also changed the line above. Hence asking for a
"OK" to commit.
Compile tested on 4.11 and works. The KIO Testcases run just fine as well
though i doubt they test for this case.

Then a few questions for frameworks. How do i merge this change back in
frameworks?

Note: i'm right now making a unittest for this specific case in frameworks,
not for 4.11. Just a general "udsentrytest" which should later be extended
to cover more of UDSEntry.