Re: [Design] lighten Dolphin’s Control menu

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 3 12:12:49 BST 2013

Hi,

first of all, thanks for your interest in making Dolphin better.

Also many thanks to Kevin and especially Todd for their replies, which
I very much agree with. Both the feedback concerning some details of
the proposed changes, and the "don't call things useless because *you*
don't use them" idea, which is something that you always have to keep
in mind when proposing changes to a widely-used application.

As Todd said, I'm not really in favor of changes that could remove
functionality that many people use (or could make it harder to use),
unless there is a very good reason to do it. Ideally, any such changes
should be discussed with usability experts (there is a KDE usability
mailing list).

I will just reply to a few points in addition to those that Todd has
addressed already:

2013/8/31 sinma:
> * «Additionnal Information» isn’t used frequently and must be in «Configure
> Dolphin» for consistency.

Even if we assume that it is used only infrequently, please note that
"Additional information" refers to the information that is shown in
the *current* directory (at least if different view properties are
being used for each directory, which is the default), but everything
in the "Configure Dolphin" dialog refers to the behavior of Dolphin in
*all* directories. These concepts are quite different, and therefore,
I'm not sure if moving this to the "Configure Dolphin" dialog makes
sense.

> Information».

See above. The view properties are different for each directory in the
default settings.

About your idea to move some things like "Sort by", "Show in groups",
etc. to a submenu: I don't see how this improves anything. Yes, it
reduces the number of top-level menu entries, but at the same time, it
makes those things harder to access. I change the sort/group options
fairly frequently, and I think I'm not the only one.

Regards,
Frank