Feature request: search view and advanced search in Konqueror

Rigo Wenning rigo at w3.org
Fri Nov 1 09:47:28 GMT 2013

Hi all,

Konqueror is the swiss-knife for the Web. As a long time KDE user, I
especially like that KDE was long before all the others to integrate the Web
and the local system in a seamless way.

Dolphin is only a local system file manager, albeit a smart one. I learned that
Konqueror is just using dolphin-part when in filemanager mode. But the
interface is very different. I like the "filtered view" when searching stuff in
dolphin (nepomuk works great on my machine). If I search in Konqueror, I get a
dedicated interface for search that displays the results in this dedicated
search window. This is much less convenient than displaying the list of found
files the same way dolphin does. Can we adopt the dolphin search behavior also
for Konqueror, namely that one can search in the location-bar and get the
result displayed like a folder view.

My second request concerns the search interface. I use nepomuk and recoll.
Recoll has a query language and gives tips for advanced search on-mouse-over
the query field. The current nepomuk search really lacks the possibility of an
has all the information, but I have no interface to access it. A documentation
of an advanced query language to be used in the location/URI-bar would help a
lot. I would be ready to work with someone knowing the internals to
document/develop such a meta advanced search language. I can't do that alone
as I don't know the internals of the nepomuk search in sufficient detail.

 --Rigo