Split View in dolphin usability issue

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:11:42 GMT 2013

Hi Frank,

Am 09.01.2013 13:13 schrieb "Frank Reininghaus" <frank78ac at googlemail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> first of all, I appreciate that Daniel and the other people involved
> in the discussion try to make the "Split View" functionality better.
> My cautious and conservative reaction does not aim to annoy anyone,
> I'm just trying to make sure that we really make the user experience
> better for the large majority of the user base.

I totally agree that such a change won't be easy to introduce and we will
need to think carefully before starting to work on it.

> It might be hard to believe for non-maintainers, but that fear is
> actually justified. In my experience, many behaviour changes, no
> matter how stupid the old behaviour was, cause many angry reactions,
> which end up in the *maintainer's* inbox. The recent discussions about
> dropping automatic icon resizing in the places panel and about "Sort
> by Date" not sorting hidden files separately since Dolphin 2.0 come to
> my mind.
>
> Therefore, I prefer to make sure that the current behaviour is
> sufficiently stupid and/or people care little enough about it before
> considering a change that has not seen many user requests yet. And no
> Daniel, the votes for your bug don't mean anything because almost all
> of them come from people who are involved in the current discussion
> here on the mailing list.

I agree with you so i wrote on Google+ a short post about this topic with
at least one complain out of one comment in 3 hours, not much but better
than nothing.
> > such a proposal would be accepted.  Frank has expressed this concern
> > already, but perhaps if there is enough support for this idea we can at
> > least get a second toolbar button we can add.
>
> I have tried to point out earlier in this thread that I consider a
> second "Split/Close" button a nightmare from both a usability and a
> maintenance point of view, even if it's hidden by default. And the
> same applies to a new config option.
>
> So I think the only reasonable option is to just change the behaviour
> without any possibility for the user to control it.
>
> Jekyll's idea of assessing the possible damage of such a change in
> advance looks like it might be worth considering. However, a poll
> might be problematic:
>
> a) IMHO, a poll only makes sense if there are transparent and reliable
> criteria on what outcome of the poll is required to actually make the
> change.
> b) Given that it's extremely easy to manipulate online polls, this
> might be problematic.
>
> If anyone [1] blogged about the current behaviour of the button, the
> perceived usability issues with it (again, I fully agree that one
> might expect the inactive view to be closed if one didn't know what
> the button does) and the possibility to change that to see how many
> angry comments there are, that might be good.
>
> Best regards,
> Frank
>
> [1] With anyone, I mean anyone != Frank. In my experience, writing
> useful blog posts takes a lot of time, and I have some more urgent
> issues to work on in the limited free time that I currently have at
> the moment.
I will blog about it this evening. The only problem is that my blog isn't
on planetkde yet.

So long