Dolphin, KFileItemModel

Emmanuel Pescosta emmanuelpescosta099 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 00:50:12 GMT 2013

Hello Dolphin developers,
Hello Frank,

I tried to fix those two bugs:
* Bug 304565 - Network browser: details view breaks when expanding
* Bug 312890 - Dolphin tries to render timeline:/ results as tree

1. I replaced the Dir-Lister signal "newItems" by "itemsAdded", so that
Dolphin knows which "parentUrl/directoryUrl" the new items have -> Needed
because some Kioslaves provide completely different file item Urls (e.g.
timeline provides the normal file path instead of the timeline path)

2. I replaced almost all KFileItemLists by QList<ItemData*> and adjusted
the createItemDataList function to make use of the provided
"parentUrl/directoryUrl" -> So we have a correct item <-> parent
connection, before we move all the newly added items
to m_pendingItemsToInsert (was not possible with the old implementation,
because it used the path provided by the file - failed with timeline, ...)

3. Adjusted the complete KFileItemModel class to work together with the new
implementation

But it doesn't work. (Final result as bad as before)

=> The big problem is, that Dolphin uses file Urls instead of the generated
file/folder item structure almost everywhere (e.g.
KFileItemModel::expandedParentsCountCompare) -> So kioslaves like timeline
will never work as expected with this design, I think.

Am I wrong?
Why file urls over file/folder item structure?
(Can we port KFileItemModel to QAbstractItemModel?)

I hope we come up with a great solution ;)

Regards,
Emmanuel