[Nepomuk] Nepomuk 4.11 Roadmap

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:29:44 GMT 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:
> Hey everyone
>
> KDE Workspaces 4.10 has nearly been released. It's time to start thinking
> about the next 6 months and see what all we want to get done.
>
> I've made a rough page over here [1]. It mostly only contains stuff that I
> want done in time for 4.11
>
> It would be nice if others could chime in and help improve the roadmap and
> maybe even help finish it in time?
>
> What we currently lack?
> -----------------------------------
>
> The road-map barely contains any new features. The biggest feature is
> probably the web-miner. We still however, do need more user-visible features
> of Nepomuk.
>
> I would love to have a better set of widgets for handling tags, artists,
> albums, tvshows, etc. With the web-miner we're going to have a wealth of
> information. We need to allow the users to interact with it properly.
>
> Another thing which we haven't historically been good at is working with
> other teams - namely Dolphin which is the most user visible way of
> interacting with Nepomuk. This seems like a good time to plan out the next 6
> months, and see where we can collaborate. With 4.10, the KFileMetadataWidget
> was communicated before, but clearly not enough.
>
> Also, we really need to start thinking about how we can better integrate
> with Plasma. Marco has done some amazing work in Plasma-Active. It needs to
> be reviewed, and moved to the Plasma Desktop.
>
> [1] http://community.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk/4.11
> --
> Vishesh Handa

I know thing I have seen people requesting is something similar to
windows collections, where you have a writable virtual folder that
lists the contents of every folder with a particular tag.  Dropping
files or folders in this virtual folder automatically move them to the
"primary" folder with this tag.  Whenever it is brought up someone
says it is being worked on.  If that is the case it should probably be
in the list somewhere.

I believe there is work going on integrating nepomuk with both digikam
and amarok.  Perhaps that should be added to the list.  I am not sure
how closely these groups are working with the nepomuk team but if they
aren't perhaps working more tightly might be good.  Is there any
similar work going on with Juk or Dragon player?

As for plasma, wasn't there a magic nepomuk folder plasmoid where you
can drop files on commonly-used tags?  Perhaps something like this
that is activity-aware would be easy but still useful from a plasma
standpoint.

Another possible improvement from a plasma standpoint is in folderview
configuration, when setting the folderview location, you have a fifth
option of setting it to display a nepomuk tag (or some combination of
them).  I know you can type this in manually or use a place, but
having an explicit way to do that baked into the UI might help make it
clearer to users how to put virtual nepomuk folder right on their
desktop.