Dolphin and Baloo

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Dec 17 12:36:56 GMT 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-12-17, 13:17:24, Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> Hi Vishesh,
>
> 2013/12/17 Vishesh Handa:

> > 3. NepomukRolesProviders will be removed and a BalooRolesProvider is
> > required. This is a little hard as the RoleProviders are supposed to
> > synchronous. Baloo only has async APIs. I could call KJob::exec() but I
> > do not that would be wise.
>
> I think that we should better make use of the async API directly then.
> I would prefer to avoid KJob::exec() because this function sets up a
> nested event loop AFAIK, and I've seen too much trouble that was
> caused by nested event loops already ;-)

Indeed. Can easily be solved though by running the job in a thread and
blocking the caller.

Looks a bit weird on first look since threads are usually used for making
synchronous things asynchronous, not the other way around, but ensures nice
separation of event processing.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring