Window modality, (was: Re: KDirWatch bug and the analysis. Help is welcome!)

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 16:51:49 BST 2013

      *** Please keep me CC, thanks ***

On Donnerstag, 1. August 2013 16:05:01 CEST, Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2013/8/1 Thomas Lübking:
>> On Donnerstag, 1. August 2013 13:24:19 CEST, Frank Reininghaus wrote: ...

> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-baseapps.git&a=commit&h=fff7573ebb910712ad97951bf1762e6a7bb0bdc7

Thanks. Seems mostly crashing, window modality and status message assignment.

> OK, thanks for the hint! Not all modal dialogs come from Dolphin
> itself though (example: KIO's "File exists already" dialog), so one
> would have to make sure that these external dialogs use
> Qt::WindowModal too.
> Well, if it can be done without regressions (except for the "one
> window crashes all" issue), then I wouldn't mind. It would reduce the
> memory usage and the startup time, after all.

Depends on how "ugly" your willing to let it get. See attached patch.

It "fixes" all modality to be window modal - if you ever need a truely application modal dialog etc., you'd have to exlude that (or whitelist widget types to become window modal) - eg. by adding a dynamic property or reimplementing its showEvent()

The statusbar assumption (ie. probably some signal/slot binding) should be cleanly implementable.

Cheers,
Thomas