Bug 216433 - dragging a folder in to the tab-bar should open a new tab

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 11 16:35:02 BST 2013

Hi Emmanuel,

2013/4/10 Emmanuel Pescosta:
> Hello Frank,
> what to you think about this feature request?
> Should we implement it in Dolphin?
>
> Bug 216433 - dragging a folder in to the tab-bar should open a new tab
>

> I think that this feature requires a new class (e.g. DolphinTabBar), which
> is a derived class of KTabBar.

factoring out the tabbing code from DolphinMainWindow was something
that already Peter had in mind some time ago, I think. That might make
sense to make DolphinMainWindow a bit smaller and maintenance easier
in the long term (and this is independent of the 'drop folder'
feature).

On the other hand, I'm not sure how useful that feature would be.
There are already some other ways to open folders in new tabs. But if
it doesn't need much additional code, I'm not really against it.
Considering that KTabWidget already has a signal for dropping stuff in
the empty space, it might be better though not to write a custom tab
bar, but rather to implement Dolphin's tabbing functionality as a
subclass of KTabWidget, I'm not sure.

BTW, the API that KTabBar/Widget offer for this functionality looks
scary. I can't help thinking that emitting a signal

testCanDecode (const QDragMoveEvent *, bool &)

and then having the receiver modify the bool is not the best possible design.

Best regards,
Frank