Plans for a Dolphin bug triage event

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:19:51 BST 2012

Hi Myriam,

thanks for your input, and sorry for the very late reply! I just
realised that I completely forgot to answer your message.

2012/9/2 Myriam Schweingruber:
[...]
>> My goals for a bug triage event are mainly:
>>
>> 1. Close reports that are not valid any more.
>> 2. Assign all reports in the 'general' component to more meaningful components.
>> 3. Mark all reports that contain simple steps to reproduce the issue
>> reliably with the 'reproduceable' keyword.
>> 4. Provide a starting point for KDE users who would like to contribute
>> to Dolphin or KDE in general.
>
> May I add one important point:
>
> 5. Attribute versions to all open Konqueror bugs.
>
> Currently there are 391 open Konqueror reports with no version set.
> Those bugs are hard to track if there is no version field, so I think
> if there is a bug triaging event happening these should be first
> cleared and have versions set (or be closed as outdated as some are
> probably pre-KDE 4.6).

Currently, a bit more than one third of Dolphin's bug reports do not
have a version [1].

The value of the "Version" field should probably the version that the
bug has been reported for, right? One could also use the last version
that the bug could be reproduced in, but then one would have to update
the field quite frequently, which does probably not make much sense.

> I am usually around to give a hand, but since I am only a triager it
> would be good to have a developer around.
>
> As for using the forum: this is a very good idea, but since the forum
> is an asynchronous media you would need more time than just a weekend,
> usually a week is more useful. I think it is also a good idea to
> combine the media: do a bug week in the forum which ends with a bug
> squashing weekend on IRC.

Yes, a week should be the minimum, or maybe even a month - if the bug
reports are all done at some point and there are still triagers who
are not too bored yet, we could start assiging meaningful components
to the wishlist items, which might also be quite helpful. When we do
it in October, I would have enough time to prepare a wiki page to
organise the work and blog about the triage event.

I'll send another message to the Bugsquad list soon, maybe we'll get
some more useful ideas then.

Thanks and best regards,
Frank

[1] https://bugs.kde.org/report.cgi?x_axis_field=&y_axis_field=version&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=dolphin&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&longdesc_type=allwordssubstr&longdesc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_id=&bug_id_type=anyexact&votes=&votes_type=greaterthaneq&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=grave&bug_severity=major&bug_severity=crash&bug_severity=normal&bug_severity=minor&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&emailtype3=substring&email3=&chfieldvalue=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&j_top=AND&f1=noop&o1=noop&v1=&format=table&action=wrap