Tools menu items (was: Removing Dolphin's tool menu)

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 13:06:02 BST 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Frank Reininghaus
<frank78ac at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for your message!
>
> > What does everyone feel think about this proposal?  Of course there may
> be
> > very good reasons for keeping things the way they are, and if not these
> may
> > not be the optimal approaches.
>
> I agree that the "Show Filterbar" option would also fit in the 'view'
> menu, but I don't really see a compelling reason for removing the
> "Tools" menu at the moment. At least the "Compare" action looks like
> it could maybe not be implemented easily in another way, and I know
> that people use it (even I use it sometimes).
>
> Best regards,
> Frank

Alright, forget for the time being about removing the menu, lets look at
the items in the menu individually and figure out what to do with them on a
case-by-case basis:

show terminal: is there any reason this is needed?  There is already a
service menu, a panel, and it is easy enough to launch a terminal from
krunner or the application launcher.  What is the use-case for this that
cannot be satisfied by other methods, especially since by default it is in
a sub-menu?

Show Filterbar in the combined menu: this seems to be a pretty common and
generally useful, so might it be better to have this in the top level of
the menu and not a sub-menu?

Show Filterbar in the traditional menu: pretty much everything related to
showing or hiding things in the interface, configurating the address bar,
showing and hiding panels, and controlling split views are all in the view
menu.  So for consistency the view menu seems to me to be the proper place
for it.

Remote charset: same as above, it controls how the files are viewed, so for
consistency I think it should go in the view menu.

Compare files: is there a reason this can't go in the right-click menu, if
not as a service menu then as a hard-coded part of the menu?  All other
file operations go in the right-click menu, so for consistency this would
seem to me to be the best place for it.  Personally I always look for it in
the right-click menu, I have to constantly remind myself it is in the tools
menu.

-Todd