How should we handle a forward slash "/" in new file and rename dialogs?

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 3 17:08:11 GMT 2012

Hi Mark,

2012/11/2 Mark:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Frank Reininghaus
> <frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mark and Emmanuel,
>>
>> thanks for your investigations!
>>
>> 2012/10/30 Mark:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm doing a bit of dolphin bug triaging and encountered a few bugs
>> > already that have something to do with a "/" in a filename. See [1]
>> > and [2]. I can see a few possible solutions here.
>> >
>> > 1. "/" is forbidden.
>> > --------------------------------------
>> > Since "/" is a directory seperator it might just be unwise to even
>> > consider using it in a filename. Also, if dolphin supports this it's
>> > by far a certainty that others support it as well.
>> >
>> > 2. Replace "/" by "⁄".
>> > --------------------------------------
>> > It looks like a slash but is a divider sign. This might be a workable
>> > solution but will change the user input (a "/") to the divider symbol.
>>
>> it seems that this currently happens when renaming with the rename
>> dialog, even though I can't see why this could make sense. Before we
>> discuss this further, could someone investigate where in the code the
>> replacement happens and why it's done?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Frank
>

> I've done a few hours (!!) of digging just to find where the / is
> replaced by a ⁄ and couldn't find it within the dolphin sources.

You should really not waste hours for such a trivial task. If you
don't find it quickly in Dolphin, lib/konq and kdelibs are the next
candidates. And if a manual search does not yield a result quickly,
use grep. Running something like

grep "'/'" * -r | grep replace

in kdelibs yields only a few candidates, and you see quite quickly
which is the right one.

Best regards,
Frank