Dolphin plugin for ownCloud

Dominik Schmidt domme at tomahawk-player.org
Fri Nov 2 08:28:06 GMT 2012

Hey kfm-devel,

since last weekend I've been working on ownCloud integration in Dolphin
i.e. see the sync status of a folder and to add a "Get Public Share
Link" context menu for files.

My first approach was to implement a KVersionControlPlugin2 of which the
results can be seen here: (highly inspired by Thomas Richard's
dolphin-box-plugin)

https://github.com/dschmidt/dolphin-plugin-owncloud/

It's by no means perfect and still WIP especially because the SocketApi
in the ownCloud client is neither complete nor merged to master yet..
(if you want to test it, you need the socketapi_clean branch of
github:owncloud/mirall and for that the cloud-branch of attica).

Any comments are highly appreciated tho! (good or bad, code review,
feature requests whatever :))

Working on this I noticed the version control plugin is rather limited
and not really suited for syncing plugins. Are there any other APIs that
I could use?

This is what I couldn't realize with KVersionControlPlugin2:

1.) Show an icon for ~/ownCloud/ when looking at ~.
(e.g., basically for any tracked folder). The version control plugin can
only show icons for subfolders of the "top level tracked folder".

2.) Add a context menu outside of the tracked folder for something like
"sync this folder to ownCloud". Normal service menus are only mime-type
dependent and I cant chose to not show that menu entry if a file is
already tracked by the client.

3.) Show custom icons. (?)
I would like to add a custom overlay to icons with my own sync icons
because the version control icons arent perfect fits for syncing and
hard to understand by users.

Best regards,
Domme