A new guy

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 1 19:18:03 GMT 2012

Hi Helder,

Am 1. März 2012 11:11 schrieb Helder:
> Hi Dolphin guys.
>
> My name is Helder, I'm brazilian, and Linux/Open Souce/KDE lover.
> I really like to help on Dolphin development.

That's great! Any help is always welcome :-)

> I have some experience with C++ and Qt development. My Qt abilities
> are a little short because I use Qt on unversity's homework and personal
> projects. But I like to learn.
>
> So, there's anyone who can guide me on these first steps?

If you want to improve your basic Qt skills first, looking at the
documentation, the examples and the tutorials that Qt offers online
(or in the Qt source) might be a good idea. At least that's how I got
started with Qt.

Have you built KDE from source already? If not, that should be the
next step. I think the easiest way to do this might be to use
kdesrc-build:

http://kdesrc-build.kde.org/
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/kdesvn-build

But it can also be done manually. To build and run Dolphin, you need
the following repositories: kdelibs (and its prerequisites in
kdesupport), kde-baseapps, kde-runtime, kde-workspace (at least for
the Oxygen style).

Some basic knowledge of git and working with branches is also
required. There is some information here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Basics

If you're looking for something to work on, bugs.kde.org has quite a
few Dolphin bugs. It may not be easy to find something good to work on
at first sight, but some bug reports have special keywords assigned to
them (those can be found using Bugzilla's advanced search):

"reproduceable" means that a bug can be reproduced easily.
"junior-jobs" means that we think that it is something that new
contributors can work on. But that is not necessarily the case,
sometimes things turn out to be more difficult than it seems at first
sight. If you've got any questions about the source or about how to
fix something correctly, don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards,
Frank