Using KIO to retrive HTTP Headers [GSoC student help request]

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jul 12 16:24:22 BST 2012

On Wednesday 11 July 2012 11:53:51 Aish Raj Dahal wrote:
> 1) Case One : When mimetype signal emitted by KIO::TransferJob is used
>
> In order to clarify more, let me take an example file
> https://github.com/ardahal/kio-learner/blob/ard-dev/metalinkHttp/metalinkHtt
> p.cpp . The given file uses the mimetype signal (at line 44) to get the
> headers as soon as the mimetype is emitted. The catch is, since we do
> no want the redirected HTTP headers but instead want the original HTTP
> headers, setRedirectionHandlingEnabled has been set to false. This
> program when run, does not emit the mimetype signal as all, and as a
> result the qDebugs at line 51 and 52 are never executed . This
> behavior is seen not only for URLs which redirect (like
> http://www.example.com ) but also for URLs which have no redirection
> (like http://www.google.com.np) .

This is the part that makes no sense to me ;-)

redirectionHandlingEnabled is a KIO::SimpleJob setting, the slave has no idea
about that setting. If there's no redirection, then none of the code in
simplejob that checks for redirectionHandlingEnabled actually runs.
So it can't possibly make any difference for a URL without redirection.

I think your testcase is a bit wrong: http://www.google.com.np redirects. I
can see it in the konqueror debug output:

 KonqRun::slotRedirection: KUrl("http://www.google.com.np") ->
KUrl("http://www.google.com.np/")

So if you want to test a URL that doesn't redirect, add the trailing slash
upfront.

If you can confirm this, then we'll be down to: no http headers emitted when a
redirection happens, which would be a kio_http issue. Dawit?