Using KIO to retrive HTTP Headers [GSoC student help request]

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Jul 8 09:29:41 BST 2012

On Thursday 28 June 2012 06:13:15 Aish Raj Dahal wrote:
> The issue is that KIO attempts to download the entire file before
> being able to query for its HTTP header responses. This behavior may
> be taken lightly for smaller files, however for larger files
> downloading an entire file, just to get the HTTP header response
> associated with it seems to be impractical.

As Albert said, the headers are sent as soon as they are received, and the
mimetype signal is emitted before the contents of the file, this is by contract
for KIO::get(). This is how we can put the job on hold while launching the
proper application for that url, and the app then resumes the download in
order to get the file contents.

Alternatively you could use KIO::mimetype which performs an HTTP HEAD request
on the given URL, but we had the experience (many years ago) that some
webservers didn't reply correctly to HEAD requests.