Use native graphics system

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 10 00:14:47 GMT 2012

On Monday, 9 de January de 2012 18.26.32, Michael Pyne wrote:
> I put "issue" in quotes as it's more an artifact of the kde-asciiquarium
> technique than an actual technical issue. If KHTML's implementation causes
> it  to hit the raster slow paths then it would not be surprising that
> raster is slow. Whether that is inherent to the KHTML design is another
> story, but it's definitely true that there are at least some things
> (however uncommon) that are slower in raster than in native.

Understood.

In theory, OpenGL is faster than native, which is in turn faster than raster.
The native backend has at least some chance of being hardware accelerated,
while raster doesn't have any.

In practice, that's not the case. OpenGL drivers are buggy and the OpenGL
graphics system was a nice experiment but failed. The native implementations
are limited and have to resort to raster anyway in many operations, not to
mention that Qt often hits their slow paths in the common case (XRender being
optimised by the same people who write Cairo and seldom looking at Qt). So in
practice, in the common case, raster not only performs better, it performs
consistently.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358