Selenium support for Konqueror - you guys have the interest ?

Paul Hammant paul at hammant.org
Wed Sep 7 21:50:05 BST 2011

Hi folks,

Selenium's a open-source functional testing tool that's been gaining market
share since 2004.  We think we're relevant.  Job listings do too :-
http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=selenium%2C+quick+test+professional+&l=
Google themselves allegedly run about a million functional tests a day
using Selenium 1.0 or Selenium 2.0

Selenium 2.0 has more fine grained browser drivers that Selenium 1.0 did.
 Selenium 1.0 was compatible with (could drive) Konqueror, whereas Selenium
2.0 cannot.

We've recently handed off the implementation for the driver for Chrome to
the Chrome dev team in Google.  Actually they ripped it from our hands.
The Opera team similarly owns their Selenium 2.0 (AKA WebDriver)
implementation.
Firefox devs have for many years been deep into maintaining their
implementation.

There's a wire API that should be fairly methodical to write for.  That's if
you folks wanted Selenium 2.0 to drive Konqueror too. We're asking because
we've made a decision recently that we cannot afford the time backfilling a
idiomatically correct driver for Konqueror ourselves - sorry!

Thoughts?

- Paul
(Committer Selenium project)