Annoying keyboard remapping

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 15:58:39 BST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Rigo Wenning <rigo at w3.org> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I very often use the CVS cervisia-part of konqueror. W3C has organized all its
> web-site with an underlying cvs. It is very convenient to navigate through the
> pages, edit and just take the cvs-view to upload the changes.
>
> But over time, konqueror's behavior has degraded a lot in usability. In KDE
> 3.5, there was an icon that appeared in the main bar when navigating inside a
> CVS folder. This disappeared and all my efforts to restore it failed.
>
> Then I found that one could just type alt-v-v-e and the cervisia-part would
> start. But switching from KDE4.3 to KDE4.5 (Akonadi/Nepomuk is just a pain
> with no advantage because of missing interface for search) the behavior
> changed again. Now one has to do alt-v then use the navigation keys right and
> down to come to "cervisia" and hit return. This is not a problem if you do it
> once a day. But for me, the keyboard interaction becomes a pain as the keys
> required are far from each other and instead of 4 strokes you need 9 strokes.
>
> Are there any plans to restore the usability that KDE 3.5 was famous for? Who
> decides those changes thus making KDE a moving target for power users? Or is
> this just a bug? If yes, how can I fix.
>
> Best,
>
> Rigo
> Who really considers going Gnome or back to KDE 3.x

It looks like keyboard accelerators are broken in general in
konqueror.  They are still working in dolphin.  I would say that is a
bug.

That being said, you can set whatever shortcut you want for switching
to the cervisa part in the konqueror shortcut configuration.  If you
use it that much you may consider setting it to a real shortcut, that
would save a lot of keypresses.

I don't know about the icon.

-Todd