GSoC 2010: Web scripting

Dmitriy Taychenachev dimichxp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 15:22:29 BST 2010

Hi folks,

I'm interested in participating GSoC of this year. I'd like to implement the
greasmonkey script support for konqueror/khtml (since it's what I'm using for
last few years). AFAIR there was a draft of web scripting in playground (I
have seen it about an year ago), but I can't find it through the svn history,
so I don't know how the real state of it. So I have done my own research of
how this could be implemented. Since the greasmonkey technique is based on
standard dom listeners, which are about to work in khtml, the actual part to
implement is js interface of greasmonkey and packaging management.

My first idea was to implement the whole thing as a separate konqueror plugin,
but stumbled upon the kjs interface - for some reasons it doesn't export raw
interface, exporting higher level kjsapi instead, which is not suitable for
interning into khtml part's js interpreter. So the script-related routines
should be implemented in khtml directly (or at least somewhere in kdelibs).
The api that greasmonkey provides for the scripts is not too big (persistant
config storage, resource-acquiring routines, css modifier, debuggin stuff and
few hackish things). All that things surely could be done inside khtml.

What's left for plugin is a package manager and the storage of resources. The
interaction of external plugin and internal part may be done directly through
the khtmlpart interface.

Unfortunately I have noticed that GSoC is already going too late and I have
not yet produced some kind of draft (I wanted to but since my first attempt
with pure plugin failed, it turned to be more work to dive into khtml itself).

I'd like to have some feedback to know if the proposal worths writing an real
application document.

Thanks, Dmitriy.