[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Preliminary UPnP support proposal

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 09:33:28 GMT 2010

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

@Friedrich

I will be investigating the existing infrastructure this Weekend,
though I've already had a glance at it.

As for the UPnP spec, I think that Solid should export a generic UPnP
device system, and perhaps we can have special handlers for some
common types like Lighting control. I have the spec downloaded, and it
just requires reading :D That apart, for the moment I think only the
MediaServer part makes sense, since that is pretty widespread and
something relevant to everybody. It is also the only type for which a
kio-slave and Amarok integration makes sense, so I will concentrate on
that.

For the protocol prefix, well I think upnp:/ makes more sense because
we are 'browsing UPnP devices'. Then for certain device types, we can
have upnp-<type> slaves.

I have thought of sticking to the HTTP url for items whenever
possible, as we already have a very good slave for it. Again, on the
weekend I'll figure out other supported protocols**.

@Bart and Friedrich

That is a good point about different kinds of files available. Perhaps
it could be done that Solid allows querying the device about the
various file types available for a given resource, and the kio-slave
sticks to the default. That way advanced apps can always use Solid.
>From the little I know, there doesn't seem to be any way for a
kioslave to inform clients that it has multiple alternatives for the
same file.

The Friendly name, computer name concept is very useful, and will
definitely have to be implemented for all the url hacking geeks out
there.

I will definitely update the proposal with more technical stuff by Sunday.

Regards,
Nikhil

** I have exams till Saturday afternoon, hence all the excuses.