GSoC 2010 and Konqueror

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 02:09:09 GMT 2010

On Sunday 28 February 2010 03:37:07 Jonathan Schmidt-Dominé - Developer wrote:
Hi,

> > There's also the Webkit/KHTML 'war'. What is the state of that discussion
> > ? Should I worry about a switch at that level ?
> > It seems that KHTML development is currently quite active so I'm not
> > really worried about that.
>
> Maybe some abstract work could be done. It should be automatically possible
> to make KHTML- and WebKitPart-Plugins compatible.
> KDEWebKit is not yet very KDEish, that could be another task.

What is "not very KDEish" ?

> > About the project itself, GreaseMonkey is a plugin for Firefox. Don't you
> > think that a firefox-like plugin interface would be a big step up for
> > Konqueror ?
> > That plugin interface could even be compatible with Firefox plugins but
> > I'm not familiar with firefox plugins so I can't really tell.
> > I think it would be a too big project for a GSoC though.
>
> Have you thought about discovering scripting-language-support?

I don't get what you mean by discovering scripting-language-support. Would it
be a possibility to write plugins in any scripting language and konqueror be
able to load and use that plugin ?

> I tried to
> create a Ruby-plugin and failed. JS for plugins would be certainly great.
> Remember Kross and the (ruby|python)pluginfactory. I think Firefox-
> compatibility would be an impossible task.

Yeah, I did not think it would be possible when I wrote that but it's worth a
shot.

> But with good scripting-support
> it should be much easier to port most important Firefox-plugins.

Detlev.