GSoC 2010: Web scripting

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Thu Apr 1 21:01:44 BST 2010

Hello Dmitriy,

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Dmitriy Taychenachev wrote:

> I'm interested in participating GSoC of this year. I'd like to implement
> the greasmonkey script support for konqueror/khtml (since it's what I'm
> using for last few years).

Great!

> AFAIR there was a draft of web scripting in playground (I have seen it
> about an year ago), but I can't find it through the svn history, so I
> don't know how the real state of it. So I have done my own research of
> how this could be implemented. Since the greasmonkey technique is based
> on standard dom listeners, which are about to work in khtml, the actual
> part to implement is js interface of greasmonkey and packaging
> management.
>
> My first idea was to implement the whole thing as a separate konqueror
> plugin, but stumbled upon the kjs interface - for some reasons it
> doesn't export raw interface, exporting higher level kjsapi instead,
> which is not suitable for interning into khtml part's js interpreter.

The kjsapi api can be enhanced whenever needed.

> Unfortunately I have noticed that GSoC is already going too late and I have
> not yet produced some kind of draft (I wanted to but since my first attempt
> with pure plugin failed, it turned to be more work to dive into khtml itself).

According to

  http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#timeline

the deadline for applications is April 9. You should emphasize that you
already investigated solutions and dove into the code that deeply.

> I'd like to have some feedback to know if the proposal worths writing an real
> application document.

It definitely think it's worth it and I would volunteer to be a mentor of
the project.

Harri.