Make Konqueror's searchbar plugin work with any KPart based browser engine...

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Thu Oct 1 00:11:56 BST 2009

Hi Fredy,

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 13:06:02 you wrote:
> Hi Dawit,
>
> I've looked through the patch, and I think generally the patch is ok
> to make the searchbar plugin works with any kpart browser engine (like
> webkit).
>
> But there is one problem: the searchbar is enabled (and shown)
> regardless of the active part, and the worse part is if the user
> choose to search using the searchbar, the result is just passed to the
> active part. So for example if currently active part is kate part, and
> user uses searchbar for google search, what he / she gets is the raw
> html text shown in the kate part. (IIRC, there is a bug report for
> this problem)

Right... the patch attached to this email is not the final patch which I ended
up committing a couple of days ago. The committed change does not have the
problem you raised here because it hides the search bar if the Kpart is
ReadWrite part, which of course the katepart is... Doing that is not a perfect
solution for this problem, but I believe it is better than checking for all
the specific engine types you want to support.

The ideal solution would probably be to either add a new service type to
identify browsing engines which we could query for or add a new property, e.g.
X-KDE-Browser-Engine=true, to the part's ".desktop" file to identify it as a
browsing engine and checking for that property. Until then me thinks the check
for the ReadWrite part should be sufficient...