Presentation of a new Khtml project (and Problems with mapToGlobal in LineEditWidget)

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 00:02:53 GMT 2009

Hello everyone,

I know I've been silent for a while but that doesn't mean I haven't
been busy working in konqi/khtml. As my final project I'm writing a
patch for khtml for adding support of GPG encryption in forms, so that
something like a GPG web client or a GPG web chat can be done (I'll
prepare a django chat demo too as part of that project). This project
is not intended to be merged in trunk (though I would love to do so
hehe). This is project is just a test of what can be done for
improving the security and functionality of web applications, allowing
end-to-end encryption so that you don't need to trust the server
meanwhile using it, so that the user can reclaim the control of the
data he lost when giving way to web services like Gmail o Gmail chat.
I'm using Libkleo for dealing with GPG stuff.

If you are curious, I have already given support for sending encrypted
text in inputs type text, and I've added a configuration entry for
selecting your signing and encryption key to konqueror [1]. Also as a
test page, I've got a form where you write something in a input type
text and then send the form and the data sent is printed in the screen
(and the data is not in clear, but encrypted in GPG): the same php
page [2] and the result [3]. As you can see the input type text tries
to show the user that it's "secure" with a padlock and a yellow
background. BTW, all the code is available in [4].

At the moment I'm trying to improve the user experience so that if he
clicks in the padlock, a drop down widget shows some information about
the encryption being used and the public key with which the data is
being encrypted, with a "More details.." button that will show a
dialog with even more relevant data. Problem is how to position the
"drop-down widget". I'm trying to use mapToGlobal(QPoint(0, height()))
inside khtml::LineEditWidget (rendering/render_form.cpp) as a start
point to deal with this, but I'm getting (14, 24392), when as you can
see in [3] it should be more like.. ~ (15, 50). What can be happening
that is making mapToGlobal go crazy?

Thanks for your time,
   Eduardo Robles Elvira.
--
[1] http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5228/konqi4.png
[2] http://pastebin.ca/1677223

PD: I'm alternating my work in this with my work in my post-gsoc. You
can see a screenshot of the current state of the awesome bar
integrated in Konqueror searching both inside bookmarks and konqueror
history in http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2662/konqi3.png . What
are those numbers shown in the completion box? it's the relevance of
the items, calculated for the given items taking into account how many
times you visited the site and when was last and first visit
(information extracted from konqi history), if it's a bookmark, how
many times it matches the search string, etc. I have been quite silent
in respect to this (which is something I regret) because it was not
complete :P more news coming soon.