[Patch] Unified reload/stop actions

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:44:11 BST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Jos Poortvliet
<jospoortvliet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm. I personally like the full page zoom. Maybe configurability is
> indeed an option, but what about something like ctrl-shift-scroll, or
> ctrl-+ and ctrl-shift-+?

It's not that it's not useful; when I saw it implemented, I thought It
would be a useful addition.
The problem is that it often makes reading enlarged pages use
horizontal scrolling. Depending on the page at hand one method is
better than the other...

Yes, one solution would be to add extra menu items/shortcuts for the
text-only zoom...

But that would clutter the menu more than an extra checkbox.

Right now the menu only has the zoom character entries...
with a submenu each.

Firefox has only a zoom item, with "zoom in", "zoom out", "Reset" and
"Zoom text only" items.

I'd like to make konqueror use the same interface... This does not
preclude the use of either action. It only reorganize the menue, maybe
reducing "clutter". And it makes it clear that two different actions
are available (the Ctrl+wheel actions are not available as a menu
item).

Also, in general, I'd like to use the same menu structure in the
filemanager kpart.
Zooming is available there as well, but it's not visible in the user
interface at all, I see...
I think this also is a regression compared with KDE 3 Konqueror.

Uhm...  I thought this was due to Dolphin KParts, but in Dolphin the
Zoom in and Zoom out actions are available. So it's Konqueror that is
not offering the actions.
Maybe it would make sense to find some common ground?

I'm CC'ing this to the usability list too, maybe it would be a nice
guideline to add for programs that have the ability to show various
levels of zoom on a document. We have quite a few of them: Konqueror,
Dolphin, Okular, Gwenview... I'm sure there are more, or there could
be more. Wouldn't it make sense to define a basic set of features to
offer, and offer them consistently?

The firefox Zoom ->In/Out/Reset model could be a starting point...

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams