access using commands

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 17 11:46:32 GMT 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> These are really useful, I didn't know of them.

Note that kfmclient had this in KDE3 too (copy and move, not cat).

> Isn't there some
> overlapping, though? It looks like kioclient can do everything kde-cp,
> kde-mv etc do.

That's not overlapping, that's aliasing ;)
kde-cp is an "alias" for kioclient copy, and kde-mv is an alias for kioclient move.
(Technically it's kioclient's code compiled with a special "kde-cp" or "kde-mv"
mode).
This is simply because kde-cp and kde-mv were added later on,
with names easier to find. But kioclient will remain the full-featured
kio operations client (can't remove stuff from it, that would break existing
scripts).

> And since I'm asking, xhouldn't --noninteractive be the default?
> When using the commands in a script, or from a command line, for that
> matter, I would not expect notifications popping up.

Maybe it should have been, maybe not, but I don't think changing
the default behavior (and breaking expectations of people already
using it) would be a good idea.
I guess you're talking about progress notification, but this option also
controls other message boxes... E.g. if a script makes a copy and
the destination already exists, you get the rename/overwrite/cancel
box, which I think is good in scripts that automate some user actions
but can pop up dialogs when needed.
Anyway; both have their use, but I'm against breaking compatibility
by changing the default.