Greek polytonic (ancient greek) font encoding problem

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Wed Sep 24 04:26:34 BST 2008

Le mardi 23 septembre 2008, Spiros Georgaras a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> Another font encoding problem I have stumbled upon using konqueror 4.1.2
> (suse RPMs). Example page:
> http://skeftomasteellhnika.blogspot.com/2008/09/sic.html (at the end of the
> post you will see the "squares"). I have also tried Greek-polytonic-capable
> fonts (Palatino Linotype, Athena etc.) but no go
>
> Can anyone confirm? Should we fill in a bug report?

mmh I see that for e.g. upsilon+tilde and omega+tilde+iota subscript
in the sentence "tou kurie phulaken...etc.", is that what you mean?

This looks like a Qt glyph substitution bug and should be reported to
trolltech at http://trolltech.com/developer/task-tracker

The HTML page is using the Verdana font if available, and this font apparently
misses some glyphs+diacritics combinations.

So Qt's font engine should look for subsitution glyphs in other fonts, but it
fails to do so for whatever reason.

Germain