Qt-webkit versus Qt-gecko - a question for the dooble project?

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 11 18:57:52 BST 2008

> Hello,
>
> this is a question to the webkit, FF and konqueror development list:

Hi.. You seem to be a bit mistaken about some things, so let me try to put
together a bit of a summary table of what the various options are.

First, there are three renderers:
Gecko, WebKit (WebCore, really), and KHTML.

WebKit is a fork of KHTML, but they're quite different these days. Its
most widely used in Safari; and Chromium uses a version of it with a
different JavaScript engine. There are ports of it on various platforms:
OS X (WebKit proper), Qt (QtWebKit; actually ships with Qt), Gtk, Windows,
etc.

Gecko is used in Firefox, and other browsers. XUL is a gecko-specific
language, so if you want XUL it's the engine to use. There are various
ports using various widget libraries as backend, such as Qt and
Gtk/Gdk/Cairo stack (the default).

KHTML is used in Konqueror. It's based on KDE libraries, which are in turn
based on Qt (though a partly standalone build using Qt libraries only is
possible as done in Konqueror/Embedded).

>From these, both WebKit and Gecko are highly advanced, and well supported
by various website providers, and KHTML is a bit behind and is generally
not on the radar of the many folks coding for a browser and not by
standards.

With respect to browser UIs, the most important thing to note is that
Firefox UI is, AFAIK, written in XUL, and that doesn't change whether you
use Qt or Gtk version of Gecko.

Konqueror is a KDE application, so it uses KDE libraries, which, again,
are built on top of Qt but provide a lot of extra functionality. Actually,
it's more of a modular shell which provides things like tabbing, view
splitting, etc., and can embed components to view things, such as KHTML
for web pages, Gwenview for images or Dolphin KPart for file management.

Hope this clarifies things a bit,
Maksim