[PATCY] icon name for Dolphin

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Nov 28 11:00:56 GMT 2008

Hello Peter:

Peter Penz wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Friday, 28. November 2008 00:32:33 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> I propose this patch:
>>
>> Index: src/dolphin.desktop
>>  --- src/dolphin.desktop (revision 889393) +++ src/dolphin.desktop
>> (working copy) @@ -17,7 +17,7 @@ Name[te]=డాలà±à°«à°¿à°¨à±
>> Name[th]=à¸à¸­à¸¥à¸à¸´à¸ Name[x-test]=xxDolphinxx Exec=dolphin %i
>> -caption "%c" "%u" -Icon=system-file-manager
>> +Icon=system-file-manager-dolphin Type=Application
>> X-DocPath=dolphin/index.html Categories=Qt;KDE;System;FileManager;
>>
>> ----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<------
>>
>> This makes it possible to use, but _does_not_ require a, branded
>> icon for Dolphin.  If an icon with this name
>> (system-file-manager-dolphin) does not exist in the chosen theme,
>> then the icon "system-file-manager" will be used.  Therefore, this
>> make no actual change when using the Oxygen theme.
>>
>> NOTE: the KDEClassic icon theme has a branded icon for Dolphin.
>
> I don't see a sense optimizing the dolphin.desktop file for the
> KDEClassic theme (it's not shipped per default by most distributions
> AFAIK).

I haven't taken a survey of various distributions, I only checked Fedora:

ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/i386/os/Packages/kdeartwork-icons-4.1.2-2.fc10.i386.rpm

> I also think that per default Dolphin should not use a custom icon at
> all.

I'm not sure what you mean by a custom icon.  As I see it, the question
is about a branded icon.  Clearly, we should not call the branded
Dolphin icon: "system-file-manager" because it might then appear for
apps other than Dolphin (non-KDE apps).  This issue might also apply to
other apps that use a generic icon name.  Currently the KDE Konqueror
animated icon is called "process-working-kde" for the same reason.

Actually, I would suggest that it would be a good idea to use a branded
icon name for other app icons that have a FD.o generic name so that we
could (not must) use a branded icon for them.

> If someone wants a custom icon like in your case, this can be
> configure anyhow already :-)

This isn't a custom icon AFAIK.  The above Fedora package includes it
but with the old name: "dolphin".

There is also another specific problem here.  I can not call the icon
attached to the previous email: "system-file-manager" because that icon
name was (probably improperly) used other places where the image of the
Dolphin isn't appropriate (even in KDE).

--
JRT