Feature Request: thumbnails of web pages

Eduardo RE edulix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:44:17 GMT 2008

El Lunes 17 Noviembre 2008, sycao escribió:
> hi,  I'm wondering if it's useful to provide thumbnails ability for
> konqueror, as many browsers have the feature. so I write a primitive
> thumbnail implementation, which provide basic functions such as show
> most visited pages and all opened tabs ( only khtml pages now ).
> clicking on a thumbnail representing the opened tab will just activate
> the associative tab. i'm very interested in it, and will do more work on
> it. if anyone has an idea or find it useful, please tell me. thanks.
>
> best regards,
>      Siyuan Cao

H Siyuan Cao:

Your feature is probably very cool, and I hope we get it in for 4.3 but we're
in feature freeze at the moment so it will have to wait (or be added in
branch). I've been reading a bit your patch and I've seen that how you create
the path where you store your settings is a bit unortodox:

+	if ( m_pagePath.isEmpty() ) {
+		QString dirname = KStandardDirs::locateLocal("appdata",
"thumbnail_pages/");
+		if ( dirname.isEmpty() ) {
+			kDebug() << "find resource dir failed";
+			dirname =
QString("%1/.kde/share/kde4/apps/konqueror/thumbnail_pages").arg(
QDir::homePath() );
+			QDir dir(dirname);
+			if ( !dir.exists() )
+				dir.mkpath( dirname );
+		}
+		m_pagePath = dirname;

When you call to locateLocal dirs can be automagically created if you set
createDir = true (see [1]). Also, your $KDEHOME needn't be ~/.kde (in kubuntu
7.04 it was ~/.kde4 for example and it might be anything else), so a better
way to create the directory could be something like:

m_pagePath =  KStandardDirs::locateLocal("appdata", "thumbnail_pages/", true);

And probably you should only do that in the constructor of the given class.

As it's a quite large patch there are probably other things that might need
review but anyway thanks for your contribution, we do want new  features and
developers in konqueror =). BTW, have you worked on this patch by yourself? I
think you should have tried to contact here or in the IRC (freenode, #khtml )
with us before doing such a great task to get some help / advice.

Regards,
     Eduardo Robles Elvira.
--
[1] http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
apidocs/kdecore/html/classKStandardDirs.html#e205c71849edfaf3a76618071223d51f