Smooth scrolling algorithm change (Re: KDE/kdelibs/khtml)

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Fri May 30 17:35:02 BST 2008

Le vendredi 30 mai 2008, Allan Sandfeld Jensen a écrit :
> Hi Germain
>
> On Friday 30 May 2008, Germain Garand wrote:
> > I'm sorry but I really dislike this change. It dramatically changes the
> > feeling, and in not so nice a way.
> > It's not clear to me why you felt it was needed, so I'll give you a full
> > view of my approach to this feature - please tell me what exactly you
> > feel is wrong with it.
>
> I think you have missed a lot in how the new algorithm works and how simple
> it really is. The integer-calculations with remainder makes it look more
> complicated than it really is.

hmm, then visibly, what I'm missing is something that actually work as you
describe (I'd love to try it).

Problem is: it doesn't. I didn't made up the numbers, they are what's produced
here when applying some simple instrumentation with the attached patch, and
using the mouse wheel.

The result has changed slightly with your addition of today (I now see one
slowing down step), but it still doesn't match you description at all:

setupSmoothScrolling: Smooth scrolling starting for  -80 vertical pixels
scrollTick: -14
scrollTick: -15
scrollTick: -14
scrollTick: -15