Standards issue on kHTML button property of event object

Alex Fiestas alex at eyeos.org
Tue Mar 11 10:02:23 GMT 2008

Hello,

I have been checking lately how eyeOS works in Konqueror 4, and I think I have
found a problem related with the standards.
The 'button' property of the 'event' object returns identical values just as
Internet Explorer, not complying with standards.

Internet explorer & khtml Revision 748931:
LMB=1 RMB=2 MMB=4
W3C/DOM:
LMB=0 MMB=2 RMB=1

In the file kjs_events.cpp of the revision 748931 there is a comment
indicating that khtml behaves in a different way
with the explained behaviour above.

646 :   dfaure  112178   // Tricky. The DOM (and khtml) use 0 for LMB, 1 for
MMB and 2 for RMB
647 :                   // but MSIE uses 1=LMB, 2=RMB, 4=MMB, as a bitfield

Nevertheless, I found below a conditional that changes these values.

649 :   dfaure  112178   int button = domButton==0 ? 1 : domButton==1 ? 4 :
domButton==2 ? 2 : 0;

A lot of things have changed since the commit was made
(http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=112178).
In my opinion, I think that at least the possibility of making khtml 100%
standards compliant should at least be considered, including this property.

Thanks for your attention, and my apologies if this is not the correct
mailist.