Bug 163311

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 14 05:54:15 BST 2008

If you can remember, a while ago, I was ranting about the need for
applications to also have HiColor icons, or ways to fix the issue in the
Icon Loader code.

Naturally I was told that I was crazy, although it should have been
clear to anyone what would happen if we changed the default icon theme.

Well, now we have changed the icon theme, for KDE3 applications, since
the default icon theme is Oxygen and most KDE3 applications are setup as
though the only icon theme that exists.

So, the result now is that if you run KDE3 applications on KDE4 that you
are missing a lot of icons.

I do not claim any special knowledge, or great intelligence.  I just
took the time to think various cases through as I was taught to do in
engineering school.

There is probably a workaround for this by changing the:

	Inherits=

in the "index.theme" of Oxygen or HiColor, but a better solution would
be to fix the code with a general solution to this problem.

There are other partial solutions such as installing the circa KDE3
Oxygen icons.  Are there such icons somewhere to download?  Perhaps this
would help:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Oxygen+Icon+Theme+for+KDE3?content=79046

Although I seemed to have some installed before I installed this.

And, now, we are doing the same thing.  KDE4 applications are being
setup as though the only icon theme that exists is Oxygen and we are not
supporting a HiColor theme (note that we can call our generic fallback
something else as long as the Icon Loader knows what to use [e.g.
KDEClassic].  So, we are setting ourselves up for the same problem.

--
JRT