Couple of things about Dolphin...

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Tue Jun 10 17:51:39 BST 2008

Hi Kelly,

On Tuesday, 10. June 2008 18:29:25 Kelly Miller wrote:
> 1)  Now that Dolphin has Tab as well as multiple window support, would
> it be possible to add "Open in New Tab" and "Open in New Window" to the
> top of the Dolphin context menu?  I fail to understand why Dolphin
> doesn't have these in the context menu; they're probably the most used
> commands in a file manager.

It's not planned at the moment adding those 2 actions to the context menu as
they are not the most used commands at least for Dolphins target user group
(http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/philosophy.html).

However I try to listen to user input as much as possible; if I get 20
wish-requests on bugs.kde.org that those entries are so mandatory, then this
might be an indication that my current assumption was wrong.

> 2)  Um, since both Dolphin and Konqueror are going to be looking for
> entries in the Actions menu, wouldn't it be a good idea to put Action
> menu entries in one place, preferably separate from both programs and
> have both look there for the necessary entries?  Having to make two
> copies of things in the Actions menu seems both inefficient and
> annoying, and AFAICS doesn't work right anyway.

I'm not sure whether I understood your question. Konqueror and Dolphin use
already the same "Actions..." menu.

> 3)  Would it be possible for Dolphin to open archives using the kio_tar
> and kio_zip slaves?  It's kind of annoying having to bring up Ark every
> single time I want to work with an archive; IMO, it's overkill for
> simply taking files out of an archive...

This is already possible in KDE 4.0. In Dolphin for KDE 4.1 there is a setting
so that it can be configured whether you want to browse through an archive or
open the corresponding application.

> Also, I would consider this a bug, but you can't switch between tabs
> when  you're dragging a file in Dolphin, making the creation of symbolic
> links much more annoying, unless you use multiple windows generally
> (personally, I don't if I don't have to).

This has not been implemented yet (maybe for KDE 4.2) and I don't see this as
an urgent issue as the split view is more comfortable for this usecase. But I
agree that it would be nice if switching tabs per drag & drop would be
possible.

Best regards,
Peter