KFileDialog: "Parent Folder" button

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Wed Jul 30 16:55:35 BST 2008

Peter Penz wrote:
 > I played around having a button to reveal the hidden part of the
 > URL, as this was also my preferred solution. But it did not work as
 > well as I expected it:
 >
 > * The icon is one minor but tricky problem. I tried using a '<'
 > arrow, but then the URL looks like this '< Pictures > 2008 >
 > January'. It's not obvious that '<' reveals the hidden parts.

Yes I understand. Maybe using "..." as a text would look better?

 > * The reveal-hidden-part-button is no solution to the problem when
 > being in the editable state of the URL navigator. By having an
 > up-button this issue is solved too in a nice way.

Yes, up-button is the way to go for editable state.

 > * I did no tests with other users yet, but in my personal usecases I
 > really just wanted to go up one hierarchy (e. g. from my
 > home-directory to /home to visit another user). With the up-button I
 > just click the button once, by having the reveal-hidden-part-button
 > two clicks are required (and for the second click I need to move the
 > mouse to hit the correct folder).

Two click would not be required if we went "the Gtk+ way". And the
user would get instant feedback as to were he is. No more need to
click the button to get this information.

The current behavior is also a bit surprising I think. If I am in a my
"Gwenview" bookmark which points to "~/kdesvn/kdegraphics/gwenview", the
widget looks like this:

[Up][Gwenview]

when I click on the Up button, I get this:

[Up][Home][kdegraphics]

I think it looks a bit surprising to get a "longer" url when I click Up.
Difficult to explain with words, just a feeling.

 > So I'm not sure whether the reveal-hidden-part button is  really
 > better. I'll blog about this issue during the next week, maybe the
 > feedback gives a rough indication about the preferred approach :-)

Good idea.

Aurélien