KFileDialog: "Parent Folder" button

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jul 27 02:58:43 BST 2008

Peter Penz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pretty much Gwenview and Dolphin users requested having a kind of "Go
>  Up"/"Parent Folder" functionality for the URL navigator.
>
> I've just committed a patch on trunk and it seems to work quite well.
> But now the "Parent Folder"-button in KFileDialog is not required
> anymore, as this button is already part of the URL navigator.
>
> I know during KDE 3.x there had been a lot of discussions regarding
> the order of the "Parent Folder", "Back" and "Forward" buttons inside
> KFileDialog. As the "Parent Folder" is now available in the URL
> navigator, the order of the buttons would be changed.
>
> Now I temporary removed the "Parent Folder" button of KFileDialog on
> trunk to get some feedback. If this solution is not acceptable, it
> won't be a problem to add a flag to the URL navigator to hide the
> "Parent Folder" button.
>
> Any feedback would be very welcome :-)

Hi Peter:  Your app keeps looking better!

First, I think that we need to run questions such as this by the
usability people.  I hate to sound so corporate, but the project has
become quite large and a division of labor for design work is needed.

Your solution looks good.  Perhaps a new icon would further improve it.
  Your idea is much better than what was done in Konqueror -- the "Up"
button was moved Left (LTR) 2 spaces.  I can't see what that accomplished.

However, we need to consider that consistency is between applications is
a very import consideration.  So, it is a good thing to see the same
navigation widget in both Dolphin and GwenView.  So, the question is
what we are going to do in Konqueror and other applications.

I presume that your URL navigator is a widget (not a toolbar) -- that it
is part of KDELibs (if not, it would need to be).  So, since I think
that it is better, I would suggest that we use it in Konqueror, as well
as all other applications that currently have a location ToolBar.

Replacing the Location ToolBar window on Konqueror is going to have some
issues.  Obviously, there is no problem when using the Dolphin KPart,
but when using other parts, the widget might need to have other
capabilities when using HTTP for example.  That is going to take a
little design work.  My first though is that there are only three issues:

1.	The 'bread crumbs' should only be available when the Dolphin KPart is
being used.  Other parts should automatically select the URL window.

2.	You are gong to need to display the protocol being used in the URL
window.

3.	The tooltip for the up arrow is going to need to change when using a
KPart other than Dolphin.

I also note a slight bug.  The icon on the right (LTR) of the widget is
grayed out when the 'bread crumbs' is displayed. Actually, I don't think
you need an icon, a plain button would be better.  Doesn't need an icon
since the button is always in the same place (widget not a toolbar) and
it has the tooltip to indicate what it does.

--
JRT