Widget redirection side problems

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Sat Jul 12 20:39:52 BST 2008

Hi there,

When I tried to fix some problems related to widgets on KHTML (and their
redirection) I saw this technique is pretty error-prone. Probably is the only
solution we have for making things "as they should", but yeah, I just wanted
to do a sum of all side problems of this. I can fill bug reports, but for now
I will write problems here down... just for the record:

All bugs I want to write here can be reproduced by visiting:
http://bugs.kde.org/query.cgi

- Comboboxes detach dropdown window parent.
Click on summary combobox. A dropdown is shown with possible options. Fine.
Move the window around. The dropdown combo isn't hidden (as it would happen on
the rest of the system when you click on the titlebar). Still, you can move
the window around while the dropdown is shown.

- Events not properly mapped on widgets.
Here we have 2 flavours:
- Hover event
I tried to fix this one, but did break another thing (iframes). When you hover
different indexes of "Product", for example, only the first item is hovered.
- Click event
This one is pretty tricky. It seems we are forwarding click events (probably
all mouse related events) some pixels higher on the Y that we should (didn't
check the X coordinate). That means, try clicking on the bottom part of the
one item. The next one will become selected. I am talking of probably 2 or 3
pixels, so try several times. You can also try zooming, so it is even more
noticeable. An ascii example:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Linux                    +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ FreeBSD                  +

Clicking very very near to FreeBSD, but on Linux item, will make FreeBSD
become selected.

I could also reproduce this same problem with hover events when I 'fixed'
them, and the elements were becoming highlighted when moving around the mouse.

I also was having zooming issues, but they seem to be fixed. Here I wanted to
say 'when clicking on a combobox, the dropdown is misplaced', but as I say,
seems to be fixed now.

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.