Better solution for allowing slash in filenames

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 18 20:34:02 GMT 2008

On Friday 18 January 2008, Mark Rose wrote:
> A corner case that is encountered.
Technically you cannot have encountered a corner case that uncommitted code will create for the first time :-)

> I have ended up with files named like that when using wget, etc.,
Named how exactly? Please explain. wget can certainly not create files with a '/' in the name...

> though I can't say I've ever copy & pasted the
> filename into a browser. Would this also not make typing the filename on the
> command line difficult?
<tab> always helps :)
(but my kde3 konsole shows a square instead of the slash, for lack of finding the proper font character...)
Anyway, one doesn't have to use this feature if he doesn't want to
(the target user for having '/' in filenames is certainly not the command-line user :)

> As a KDE and command line user, I know it would
> confuse me when typing \/ (escaping with a backslash) and the file wasn't
> referenced.
!?!?!? There is no support for real slashes in filenames at the filesystem level.
$ touch a\/b
touch: cannot touch `a/b': No such file or directory