Enable Javascript for local .html files

Stefanos Harhalakis v13+kfmdevel at it.teithe.gr
Fri Dec 5 17:02:12 GMT 2008

On Friday 05 December 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 December 2008 09:54:08 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >> "This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback"
> >>
> >> So, 127.0.0.0 normally is the IP address for localhost and 127.0.0.1 is
> >> a loopback address.  I am not an expert, only that that is what I read
> >> in a Linux manual.
> >
> > $ /sbin/ip route | grep ' lo '
> > 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link
> >
> > The whole 127.0.0.0/8 network is reserved for loopback.
>
> So, the quote from rfc3330 is incorrect?

The quote is correct since it says 'ordinarily'. Most probably the 127.0.0.0/8
network will be routed to a loopback device or nowhere at all. This quote
only says that the 127.0.0.1 address will be assigned to the localhost most
of the time.

> But, the question is whether or not you can put 127.0.0.0 in the
> JavaSctipt KCM to refer to the host system?

If you want to be extra secure, I'd propose the 127.0.0.1/32 address which
should work for all cases. Of course someone may have more than one such
loopback addresses, (for example) one for each virtualhost, for testing
purposes.

Personally I believe that if 127.0.0.0/8 isn't a localhost-only network there
are other dangers too and that it is safe to make such an assumption.

Also look in page 4 of RFC1700:

(g)   {127, <any>}
         Internal host loopback address.  Should never appear outside
         a host.