Konqueror Treeview Sidebar plans?

Simon St James kdedevel at etotheipiplusone.com
Sat Aug 16 09:46:33 BST 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering what the long-term plans for the Konqueror sidebar treeview
were? I originally thought it was already using the Dolphin treeview, but
apparently it's using some very KDE3/Qt3Support-ish code ;)

It's currently somewhat broken - one cannot drag files onto it, for instance -
and I was wondering if it's worth trying to fix it up and un-KDE3 it, or
whether it would be possible and desirable to use the Dolphin tree view? If
the latter, how would this be accomplished, roughly? Could Dolphin provide it
via its KPart + Q_PROPERTY type of system, or is there some other clever KDE
way that I'm not aware of ? :) Would it be possible to merge in the popup
menu items that are in Konqueror but not in Dolphin (e.g. Open In New
Window)? Would it be possible to set the "root" URL of the tree to either
Home or Root depending on the tab in the sidebar page clicked? Etc.

Any thoughts on the issue are welcome and if whatever approach proves to be
suitable for a Junior Job, I'll happily step up to do it - once I've done all
the other stuff on my list, of course ;)

Best Wishes,
Simon