GiB vs. GB

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Nov 3 00:32:37 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 November 2007, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> Well, in the kilobyte and megabyte days I would have agreed, but now that
> we're into giga and now tera, doesn't the difference increase (1000^n vs

the point is that regardless of whether we are measuring using 1000^n or 2^N
(1024^N if you prefer), using the term GiB in the UI is simply not useful.
those of us who know the difference understand, and those who don't have
little idea what a "GiB" is. so by putting GiB there instead of GB,
regardless of how we actually measure it, we only do a disservice to the less
technical (the overwhelming majority of people).

interestingly, wikipedia says[1]:

"However, since there are no other uses for the term 'Gigabyte' apart from
refering to memory, file sizes, storage capacity, amounts of network traffic,
the standards bodies' recommendations are frequently ignored amongst computer
professionals, and 'Gigabyte' is used by them as if it were 1024³ bytes."

we can measure using the binary definition (GiB) but i'd really prefer to see
use the *commonly* understood unit abbreviation of GB(KB/MB/TB/etc)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se