GiB vs. GB

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Fri Nov 2 20:56:16 GMT 2007

Hi,

on the dot there is currently a discussion [1] because Dolphin shows "18,1 GiB
free" instead of "18,1 GB free". Dolphin uses KIO::convertSizeFromKiB() which
uses KLocale::formatBySize(). Inside the implementation of
KLocale::formatBySize() the following comment is given:

// If someone wants the SI-standard prefixes kB/MB/GB/TB, I would recommend
// a hidden kconfig option and getting the code from #57240 into the same
// method, so that all KDE apps use the same unit, instead of letting
// each app decide.

Using GiB would be technically correct, but I'm not sure if the noise on the
dot represents only a minority or whether this is really a (minor) problem...

So the questions are:
1. Do we have a problem at all?
2. If the answer is yes: should we add such a hidden kconfig option?
3. If we provide such an option: which representation should be default?

Any input is welcome :-) Thanks!
Peter

[1] http://dot.kde.org/1193780926/1193987164/