KJS "compilation" phases

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Sat May 19 16:24:23 BST 2007

Hello,

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Luciano Montanaro wrote:

> I think an optimization phase could be very useful. For sites using "light"
> one-run-only JavaScript it may slow down loading a bit.

After our discussion on the #khtml channel last night I realized that the
number of optimizations doable during node construction is quite
significant. So even without introducing a new, full-blown phase I see
some potential that still works into the right direction.

Will contact you and the others with a proposal in a few minutes. Anyone
interested to join the discussion please contact me.

> As long as it is not noticeable, that should not matter. But there are
> many sites that use complex scripts, where compilation (or simply
> optimization) could really make a difference. And the trend seem to be
> for more dynamic sites...

Yeah. JS libs more than one MB big with heavy computations in them are not
that seldom anymore. A strange world we are living in :)

Harri.