Modularity of DOM/JS parts

Paul Giannaros ceruleanblaze at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 20:59:25 GMT 2007

Hi,

I've been working on a project to facilitate web navigation/scraping using
a "real" browsing engine to handle (X)HTML/JavaScript/cookies. I began using
KHTMLPart with Xvfb (so that it works on X-less servers -- a requirement),
but that solution is proving to be increasingly finicky and unextensible. A
major problem is how closely it's tied to the graphical side: there are
constantly message boxes asking about cookies, remembering passwords, kwallet
asking things, etc.
Since then I've been looking at different engines to get this to work
the 'proper' way -- by seperating out the DOM/JS stuff from the graphical
side -- and KHTML looks like the nicest.

How tied are the graphical and non graphical bits of KHTML? I'd need to use
the HTML parsing and DOM stuff, tie it with KJS, and probably handle cookies
myself. The (eventual) goal would be to make it work with QCoreApplication.

Thanks,
Paul