Swfdec/Konqi integration

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Mon Jun 18 10:35:26 BST 2007

On 6/17/07, koos vriezen <koos.vriezen at gmail.com> wrote:
> The swfdec from debian/unstable (which needs hacking on the package to
> get it installed) worked originally but filled my RAM quite soon.

I think 0.4.3 had a rather emberrassing memleak of not freeing the
whole player instance when you had opened the properties window. So
either install something newer or don't open properties windows. ;)

> Upgrading to 0.4.5 has this problem that the window wherein it's embed
> resizes by the plugin loading of konqueror. Actually the initial
> parent isn't visible first.
> Calling SetWindow multiple times seem to help, but I wonder why is
> chosen for the hard 'gdk_window_foreign_new' way and not for the
> 'gtk_plug_new' way.

2 reasons: 1) it worked (i probably did something wrong with the plug
thingy, but didn't care anymore) and 2) I wanted to go windowless
anyway to support translucency and event passing properly.

> Btw. the times the swfdec worked, it worked pretty well. I really like
> that it first starts in paused state. It actually never crashed on me,
> though refused to play some videos on youtube.

Thanks. :)
Not crashing is the primary goal of Swfdec, since every time it
crashes it brings down the whole browser, and people really dislike
that. ;)
As for the PAUSE mode, I plan to model it a bit like popup handling:
If domain is unknown, start paused. If user clicks on it to start
playing, whitelist the domain and start playing immediately for
further Flash files from that domain. And of course allow a properties
page for explicitly whitelisting and blacklisting domains. But I
haven't implemented it, so I have no clue how well that would works

Since I'm pretty convinced that the proper solution for Swfdec is to
write a KPart that does the embedding and not rely on the rather
stupid npplugin API, I don't really care about the hacks to make it
work anymore. Add to this that I was invited to Akademy, so I can grab
you in person and make sure we write it at the hackathon. ;)

Cheers,
Benjamin