TLS upgrades

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrowe at rowe-clan.net
Tue Jul 24 15:48:27 BST 2007

Josef Spillner wrote:
> Funny deadlock:
> - HTTP 1.1+TLS upgrade is supported by Apache httpd now (using SSLEngine
> optional), but untested since "no browser supports it"
> - it's also supported by Konqueror by means of kio_http, but untested
> since "there's no server to test"
>
> Is anyone still working on this feature?

Browser-wise, not that I'm aware of.  Because it's negotiated, nobody has
develped the UI-solution to represent the availability and optional nature
of the interface.

If server insists on it, there is still the lingering question of seeing
'strong lock' secured labels while presenting an http: (not https:) URL.
It cannot be represented as https: as that is an implicit port 443:.

Many network devices do support TLS upgrade, such as Novell Netware
printers.

Bill