Dolphin with tabs

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jul 24 11:56:35 BST 2007

K N wrote:
> I forgot to mention this. In windows there a two seperate programs, one
> for browser files and one for browser the web. Many users are going to
> confuse this with dolphin being the folder browser of windows and
> konquer being internet explorer.

Perhaps that is where the idea comes from.  I do not have a recent
version of Windows.  I think I have 3.x for DOS somewhere.  So, I will
have to ask how this works in Windows.  I have IE6 installed with
CXOffice so I know how it works.  It is like Firefox, it will browse
anywhere -- even on Linux with CXOffice, it will browse my local files
if you give it a phony path.  However IE will not manage files.  That is
how Konqueror is different, it is a browser that will also manage files
(and also has the icon view/thumbnail preview display).

So, the question is what the other Windows browser does.  Will it
browse?  That is, can it display the contents of files or does it only
open them in the appropriate applications?  If so, then it is a file
manager like Dolphin.

Note that there is nothing strictly local about managing files.  You can
also manage files on a network or with FTP over the internet.  Dolphin
would make a good FTP app if it could store the needed book marks.

So, the current purpose of Dolphin is to satisfy users that don't want
to manage their files with a browser.  I don't see that it should be
lacking features; it doesn't need to be overly simple; it just needs to
be ONLY a file manager.  We can add Konqueror features as long as we
maintain this limited purpose.

As for tabs.  I don't see that that is a power user feature.  I just
find it more convenient than opening more browser windows.

--
JRT