What's the statusbar "chain" checkbox in Konqueror?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Jul 19 22:43:31 BST 2007

sam wrote:
> My empirical studies of this box have born no fruit yet. It is as compelling
> as it is mind-splitting. Does anyone happen to know what the little box does?

If you split your Konqueror window (via the actions
in the "Window" menu, the keyboard shortcuts or by
right-clicking the view status bar) the little box
allows your to keep the path displayed in each split
synchronized with the others.

BTW: KDE/Qt has a helpful system called "What's This"
that allows developers to attach descriptive text to
interface elements, and users to access that infor-
mation by using the mouse pointer in "What's This?"
mode to click those elements. You can enter this mo-
de by clicking the question mark button in your win-
dow decoration (provided your decoration supports
the button and you haven't removed it via its set-
tings in KControl), clicking on the "What's This?"
item in the Help menu of a KDE application, or using
the keyboard shortcut (default: Shift-F1).

Clicking the little box reveals the following help
text:

"Checking this box on at least two views sets those
views as 'linked'. Then, when you change directories
in one view, the other views linked to it will auto-
matically update to show the current directory. This
is especially useful with different types of views,
such as a directory tree with an icon view or detail-
ed view, and possibly a terminal emulator window."

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, hein at kde.org